[mapserver-users] Couldn't run perl mapscript under Apache

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Mon Nov 18 16:27:28 EST 2002

Krung,

Lowell Filak> Those two messages are just warnings and do not
Lowell Filak> keep the script from working properly unless you
Lowell Filak> are running mod_perl or use strict.

Krung> OK, I'll try doing with mod_perl later coz I never
Krung> used it on Linux, only on Windows.

What does that mean Krung? Lowell is telling you that you will receive the
"Not a HASH reference...  " error if you are running under mod_perl. He is
not asking you to run the script under mod_perl. Lowell makes no mention of
Windows. Lets keep things simple. For now, lets just assume you are running
under Linux, and get it working there first (besides, perl/mapscript doesn't
even work under Windows, as far as I know).

Lowell Filak> After you ran the script at the command line
Lowell Filak> you should have had an images/test.png
Lowell Filak> file created at the same time. Did you?

Krung> Yes.

Lowell Filak> If you open it in your browser does it look
Lowell Filak> like what you expected?

Krung> No.

what does that mean? So, the image was created, but it did not look like
what you expected? What did you expect? What did you get instead? How big
was the image (in bytes)? Let us insure that you are at least getting some
image.

Lowell Filak> Note that when you ran it at the command line
Lowell Filak> you should have seen the html header, start
Lowell Filak> tag, & end tag printed to the screen also.
Lowell Filak> Did you?

Krung> Yes.

This implies the script ran just fine. There were no errors (except for the
"Not a HASH reference...  " errors. Is that so?

You _have_ to give us the following --

1. the exact script you are using. If you omit anything obvious from that
script, please note what you are omitting. Best is, to make a very simple,
basic script, try it out, and then send us that script exactly the way it is
on your computer.

2. the scipt has to be executable. Make sure you

chmod +x yourscript.pl

3. the directory where your data are stored should be readable by the web
server account.

4. the directory where you are writing the temporary images should be
writable by the web server account.

5. the apache settings should be correct to allow cgi execution.

6. You have to tell us all the errors you see (on the screen and in the log
files).

Unless we get all the information from you we will be solving this one well
into 2003.

Please let us know all the information as above, as well as any relevant
computer-setup info. Lets get this working as its been a long while.

If you prefer, please feel free to email me off the list (and to Lowell, if
he doesn't mind... please ask him first) so we don't inundate the list with
this chatter. Once we get it all working we can post the solution to the
list.

Regards,

Puneet.