[mapserver-users] SDE performance

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Nov 20 16:49:13 EST 2002

C F wrote:
 > Regarding MapServer creating a NEW db connection for each db
 > layer.... is anyone else taking this seriously?  I thought this would
 > be just the beginning of the discussion but there doesn't seem to be
 > too much interest in this besides us few.  This seems like a pretty
 > unnecessary performance constraint.  I would think that it would be a
 > fairly easy fix, but it's not my place to be making those
 > assumptions... But I just thought I'd bring it up again in case
 > everyone forgot :)

It is one of those "how bad is the pain" issues. Until someone has a map
service which has multiple db-generated layers and connection overhead
is totally killing them, the pain won't be bad enough. We stand ready to
do the work for the first person who cuts us said contract. :) Right
now, most of the pain seems to adhere to Oracle and SDE, which have much
higher connection overheads than PostgreSQL.

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey