[mapserver-users] Mapserver and PostgreSQL

Arjen Vrielink vrielink at sarvision.com
Thu Nov 21 10:01:39 EST 2002

Hello All,

I was wondering if I could connect to a PostgreSQL database directly
from Mapserver. The problem is that we have SuSE 8.1 doing the
installation of PostgreSQL so we don't have the pg src code on our
machine which you need to install / compile PostGIS. Not being convinced
about the benefits of POSTGIS after reading the documentation I decided
I could live without it. That is, until I tried to get Mapserver connect
to my Postgres db --> There are no error messages but I don't get the
layer displayed either (I use an ESRI shapefile which I dumped to SQL
code for testing). So my basic question is: do I really need Postgis
(and what are the benefits of Postgis anyway)? if I really need postgis,
I will get the postgres source code and install it manually on my linux box.

Suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

using:
Linux 2.4.something
PostgreSQL 7.2
Mapserver 3.6