[mapserver-users] project onto a globe?

Tom Hodder t.hodder at globalgold.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 14:21:36 EST 2002

>If I understand correctly, what you folks in the UK call a "2D
representation of a globe" is known as a "circle" over here
><g>.

;-)

> Tom -
> Do you mean that you want the image to look like a globe?  If so, you need
> to use an orthographic projection.  By virtue of making an image, you are
> doing some kind of projection from the earth to the plane of the image.

This is pretty much what I am trying to achieve.

I've only starting reading about
this stuff in the last couple of days so I'm missing chunks of information
that are probably quite basic for experienced mappers.

>You'll have to give us a little more information. MapServer supports a HUGE
>array of map projections through PROJ4 ... so, yes, you can do it.
>
>See http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc36/coordinates.html

i going to read this thoroughly and see if  what I can do with it.

Thanks for the help so far.

Tom