[mapserver-users] project onto a globe?

Tom Hodder t.hodder at globalgold.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 17:24:35 EST 2002

> Tom -
>
> The biggest distinction is whether you're trying to display a
> hemisphere or the entire Earth.  If you look at a globe, you only
> see half the Earth at one time, whereas the sample map you
> pointed to shows the entire Earth at once.

the hemisphere is fine, thats what im after.

> Projections that show only a hemisphere at a time are much more
> commmon and more "natural" - the Orthographic (mentioned below)
> and the Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area are popular.

The project in hand is for a marketing promotion so popular/common/natural
are good and accuracy is nice/optional/etc

The
> Orthographic is the one that most resembles a globe - it's
> actually what a globe would look like if viewed from an
> "infinite" distance.  It is especially nice when used in its
> oblique form, where the center point is neither on the equator
> nor at the poles.
>

> Just remember that this will only provide half the Earth at a
> time, just like a real globe does.
>
> 	- Ed

I'm sure they can use the rotate buttons to look round there.

Thanks for all the help, I'm blasting along the learning curve at top speed.

Cheers,

Tom