[mapserver-users] project onto a globe?

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Nov 26 14:57:04 EST 2002

Tom -

The biggest distinction is whether you're trying to display a hemisphere or the entire Earth.  If you look at a globe, you only see half the Earth at one time, whereas the sample map you pointed to shows the entire Earth at once.

Projections that show only a hemisphere at a time are much more commmon and more "natural" - the Orthographic (mentioned below) and the Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area are popular.  The Orthographic is the one that most resembles a globe - it's actually what a globe would look like if viewed from an "infinite" distance.  It is especially nice when used in its oblique form, where the center point is neither on the equator nor at the poles.

Just remember that this will only provide half the Earth at a time, just like a real globe does.

	- Ed