[mapserver-users] Meteorological implementations?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Oct 23 14:08:16 EDT 2002

You might be able to do that MapServer, depends on how sophisticated the
labeling needs to be. Version 3.7 lets you offset features so you could
define complex presentations around a station point using multiple
layers. As long as data could be stored in shapefiles or another
supported format you'd be ok.

You could also do something like:

  http://thoreau.dnr.state.mn.us/weather/map.html

Where detailed station data is presented when the mouse moves over a
station, while displaying more general data in the map itself. In this
case we store station data in XML files but could easily access a
version of the data that is stored in a relational database.

Just thinking out loud...

Steve

>>> Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> 10/22/02 04:06PM >>>
I believe this to be the case.  Specifically, what I'v envisioned is a

mapserver baselayer and core functionality as a mapservice, with
weather
station sites overlaid thereon, as queriable objects.  I'd like to find

a way to update the station data as new data rolls in (temperature, dew

point, barometric pressure) as well as setting a wind barb character
and
rotating same to reflect the direction

Specifically, what we're doing is creating the demo site for a
"Mesonet"
or a statewide, dense network of weather stations reporting conditions

in near real time.  (Sean, look at www.mesonet.org for a well
established example.)

We're working under some time constraints that are some where between
ambitious and unrealistic to get an initial site up.  That's why I
decided to solicit some input here rather than trying to reinvent the
wheel.

Thanks!
gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Office: 979.458.4020  FAX: 979.847.8578
Cell: 979.229.4301    Pager: 979.228.0173