[mapserver-users] Raster Data and Memory

Benjamin Wragg bwragg at mappingandbeyond.com
Tue Oct 29 16:37:08 EST 2002

Hi guys,

I was wondering how MapServer handles raster data. I've seen the large
list of image formats that are supported, but what does MapServer do
with the images when it loads them up? Does it try and fit the whole
image into memory? If this is the case, what happens if say the image is
2GB and I have 512MB of memory, will it continue to try and load the
file into memory, causing (on windows) the swap file to be used, or will
it just not load the file into memory and call the file from the disk
when needed?

Thanks,

Benjamin Wragg