[mapserver-users] Mapserver Performance Statistics

Mark Eichin eichin at thok.org
Mon Sep 9 14:10:07 EDT 2002

I run the mapserver as fastcgi -- makes a big difference for little
effort in terms of general thrashing of the machine.  Once you do
that, you start getting more *reliable* performance measurements out
of your tests (ie. lower standard deviation), and then you find you
need to look at your choices of layer detail (minscale/maxscale) and
shape file slicing.  Also labelling: on a current project, I'm finding
that in some combinations, far more time than I'd expect is being
spent rendering text (based on some strace -r probes and noting which
files are opened when.)