[Mapserver-users] rotated label

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Aug 6 11:57:11 EDT 2003

Which GD version (latest is definitely greatest with respect to TrueType
support)? The other problem could be the font itself. Have you tried
other ones with the same result. I believe the new version of FreeType
makes better use of internal font metrics, and in some low quality fonts
that could actually make things worse than with old versions of
FreeType. FreeType has some tools to do test rendering (using X11) of
strings with a font at various angles and sizes. You could try that tool
and see if the problem appears there too. That would help us narrow down
the source of the problem (GD or Freetype or perhaps even MapServer). If
it's a GD error we do have priority bug fixing status with them (I think
it's still in effect).

Steve

>>> Siki Zoltan <siki at bme-geod.agt.bme.hu> 08/05/03 07:11PM >>>
Hi,

I get into trouble with rotated labels, I tried 3.6.5 3.6.6 4.0
with freetype 2.1.4.

layer definition from the map file:
LAYER
    NAME "streat_names"
    DATA xshp/unev1
    STATUS ON
    GROUP "annotation"
    TYPE LINE
    LABELITEM "NAME"
    LABELMAXSCALE 5000
    CLASS
        COLOR -1 -1 -1
        LABEL
            COLOR 200 0 200
            ANGLE AUTO
            SIZE 12
            FONT timb
            TYPE TRUETYPE
        END
    END
END

There is a line in fonts.lst file:
timb /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType/timb____.ttf

I get text where letters are not rotated but the position is
changed for each characters e.g. a text at 45 degree

s          or           e
 a                     l
  m                   p
   p                 m
    l               a
     e             s

Any idea?

Tankx
--
Zoltan Siki

Tel:+36 1 463 1146  +36 70 3199092  Fax:+36 1 463 3209
Mail: siki at agt.bme.hu
Assistant professor at                     egyetemi adjunktus
Department of Geodesy and Surveying        Altalanos es Felsogeodezia
tanszek
Budapest University of Technology Hungary  Budapesti Muszaki Gazd. Tud.
Egyetem