[Mapserver-users] MapServer 4 configure problems

Leah Roderman elrod at oaktownunderground.com
Thu Aug 21 17:28:55 EDT 2003

I am trying to configure MapServer 4.0 on RedHat Linux 8.0 3.2-7 with gcc v3.2. Earlier this year I had a successful compile of MapServer 3.6.4 on the same system, running with Apache, PostgreSQL, and PostGIS. If the problem described below rings bells for anyone, please let me know...

I'm trying to configure using:

./configure \
--with-gd=/usr/local/lib \
--with-jpeg=/usr/lib \
--with-zlib=/usr/lib \
--with-png=/usr/lib \
--with-proj=/usr/local/proj \
--with-freetype=/usr/lib \
--with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config \
--with-wmsclient=/usr \
--with-postgis=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config \
--enable-debug \
--disable-ignore-missing-data \

And configure complains that it can't find GD. The most recent version of this error (shortened to the most relevant chunk) is:

checking where libXpm is installed...
checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm... no
        XPM (libXpm) library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD
checking where libiconv is installed...
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... yes
        using libiconv from system libs.
checking for GD 2.0.12 or higher...
checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd... no
checking whether GD needs libiconv...
checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd... no
configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in /usr/local/lib. Make sure GD \
2.0.12 or higher is compiled before calling configure.

I've doublechecked for GD (this directory is also spec'd in ld.so.conf):

# f gd.h
./usr/local/lib/gd.h
# f libgd.a
./usr/local/lib/libgd.a

I've removed the rpm and rebuilt GD a la the RH8/9 and MS37/40b directions at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MapServerCompilation

I've installed libiconv after reading http://lists.gis.umn.edu/pipermail/mapserver-dev/2003-June/000404.html but my compile.log has some different content than described, including:

configure:2626: checking whether GD needs libiconv...
configure:2628: checking for gdImageSetAntiAliased in -lgd
configure:2647: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lgd -ljpeg -L/usr/lib -lfreetype -L/u\
sr/lib -lpng -L/usr/lib -lz  -L/usr/local/lib -liconv  -lm -lstdc++  1>&5
/tmp/cc8Gdwol.o: In function `main':
/var/dl/mapserver-4.0/configure:2643: undefined reference to `gdImageSetAntiAliased'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 2636 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char gdImageSetAntiAliased();

int main() {
gdImageSetAntiAliased()
; return 0; }