[Mapserver-users] Compilation Question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 4 11:16:52 EST 2003

Kevin Slover wrote:
> Good day all,
> 	First time poster... and first time user... so far I am liking what I
> have seen in the documentation, and have heard great reviews about this
> software.
>
> 	 I have several questions regarding the configuration.  I am attempting
> to configure with gdal support, but with no luck.  I run the configure
> script with --with-gdal=/usr/local/gdal-1.1.7.2/configure, and it
> succesfully creates the makefile.  However, the makefile crashes, giving
> me ~50 undefined references when it attempts to compile shp2img, all
> relating to a "undefined reference to 'GDALXXXXXXXXXXX".  Any thoughts?
> If you are using tiff/jpeg support, does GDAL need to be configured with
> these supports as well??  And maybe, as well, does mapserver support the
> latest GDAL release?

Kevin,

A few notes:

  o I would encourage you to upgrade to GDAL 1.1.8. The 1.1.7.2 release is
    a bit long in the tooth.

  o Use --with-gdal=/usr/local/gdal-1.1.7.2/apps/gdal-config if you want to
    build against the GDAL build tree.

  o I would encourage you to actually do the "make install" for GDAL to
    install it into your /usr/local tree.  It will make some things easier.

> 	One last question... thought I would try without GDAL support, and had
> the make run through successfully.  However, in make install, it was
> attempting to copy map.h from an old install of Mapserver (a previous,
> extremely unsuccessful attempt).  It is in the Makefile script at:
> cp -f map.h , attempting to install libmap.a.  Should I download a copy
> of Mapserver 3.5, configure, and then make clean to solve this problem??

I don't follow this.

Best regards,