[Mapserver-users] more mapplet questions

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Fri Feb 7 18:48:30 EST 2003

--=======7A6D6198=======

Kevin,

I probably wasn't very clear in my previous email - I personally haven't
used the PNG version of  jBox and don't really know anything about it. I
don't even know if the version that I pointed you to is considered a stable
release. Steve Lime wrote it, so I'd be the athorative word there. I have
been working with the "regular" GIF version, both in adding functionality
and writing documentation. jBox will replace mapplet on the mapserver
utilities site pretty soon.

I suspect some, and maybe all of the differences that you outline below may
be differences between the PNG version of jBox and the GIF  version. It
sounds like you generally have things working, but if you are still having
problems you might substitute in the GIF version of jBox available at
http://www.greenwoodmap.com/mapserver/jBox/ and see if that resolves any
issues, then switch back to the PGN version.

If you have suggestions for improvements in the documentation, or see
errors, please let me know. If you can point out specific differences
between the GIF and PNG versions, we might want to document those, too. But
I guess first we need to ask Steve.

Kevin Slover wrote:
>1.  The rest of the files are needed.  When calling jBox.class, it
>searches for /com/sixlegs/image/png/...  I actually needed to place that
>directory in the same directory as the jBox.class.  Maybe I have done
>something wrong... that is always true...

I'm sure you are right, those must be PNG support files. I'll try to check
out the PNG version this weekend.

>2.  In the jBox HOWTO document, there were for me several differences.
>Again, maybe the system I am operating with (RH 7.2) or user error.
>What I found is:
>   a.  In the html applet call, the line with value=http://[host][img]
>gave me an incorrect URL path.  In changing to only [img], worked like a
>charm.

I am a little surprised by this. What version of mapserver are you working
with?

>b.  The automating form submission did not work for me.  I am
>not sure why, and I am not sure where the redraw flag is "raised".  Does
>that need to be specifically set?

The redraw flag is raised in the Java applet (jBox). The applet passed this
flag back to the javascript, which can then either do a full page submit,
or it can do an image swap (or anything else that you tell it to do). In
other words - if you are in zoom mode and drag your mouse over the image,
you are interacting with the Java applet. When you release the mouse
button, the Java applet sends a message back to the javascript and the
javascript then decides what to do.

>I am greatly appreciative of your help.  I am very new to all this, and
>hate to continue asking questions, but am very eager to learn.  This
>will prove a very valuable tool.

Hey, we're all eager to learn. I will post this to the list so that others
may comment on it as well.

Rich

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
(307) 733-0203