[Mapserver-users] Connecting to Oracle 9i to set and retrieve data

Barbara H. Hageman barbara at integ.com
Fri Feb 14 08:58:58 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can just point me in the right direction here.  We are
currently generating shapefiles from data in our Oracle database (based on
user selections) which in turn are used by Mapserver.  This is working out
great.  But now, I need to add the capability for the user to update
database records.  I also need to add the capability to display additional
database information dynamically (when the user clicks on the map).  I can't
add the additional information to the shapefile for various reasons.  It has
to be retrieved when the user specifically asks for it.  I'm confused as to
what I should be looking at now, Mapscript?, Mapserver CGI?, customizing the
Mapserver source code?. We are running Mapserver 3.6.4 on Linux and Oracle
9i (not spatial) on Solaris.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Barbara Hageman