[Mapserver-users] Connecting to Oracle 9i to set and retrieve data

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Feb 14 10:52:44 EST 2003

Barbara,

Well, depends if said users update geometry, or only attributes.

One way I've used successfully, is to use MapServer CGI, and have in the
.dbf of the shapefile an "index" type value(s), that correlates with data in
your database.

You then create a query template that redirects to a script you wrote (in
any language you like) that takes said index value(s) and generates output
from database queries (a "manual" JOIN if you will). This is limited in
functionality, but simplicity is allways a good thing, and this design works
great if it's what you need.

If for some reason you need more control and flexibility, then yes MapScript
would be your next best option. You can do lots and lots of things at this
point, and most likely whatever it is you're trying to achieve, if the first
solution I proposed doesn't work for you, then using mapscript most
definitely will.

For the updating of your database, MapServer is NOT the tool for that
obviously.

Hope this helps!
J.F.