[Mapserver-users] PHP-4.3.x/Apache2/RH8 and mapscript issue

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Feb 21 13:44:39 EST 2003

woodbri at swoodbridge.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was going to test the problem I reported yesterday ( about PHP-4.3.x PHP/Mapscript processes not terminating and using up all your cpu cycles ) on PHP-4.2.3 and Apache 2 but it seems that these are not compatible, ie: you can't build a working PHP-4.2.3 CGI that will work with Apache 2.
>
> So does anyone else have PHP/Mapscript working with PHP-4.3.x and Apache 2 on Red Hat 8.0 ( or any other OSs)?

Steve,

We do run PHP 4.2.3 under Apache 2 on RedHat 8, and we noticed this
issue with processes never terminating at the time (I had forgotten
about it until you wrote this).  We found that it seems related to
writing to stderr, so if you remove the --enable-debug in your MapScript
build you should be fine.  We never took the time to investigate any
further to find the correct way to log messages to stderr under Apache
2.

BTW, I think you wrote a Wiki page about setting up MapServer/MapScript
on RH8, perhaps it would be a good idea to add a note about this issue
in it.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca