[Mapserver-users] Tiling a large raster

Lars V. Nielsen LVN at gispro.dk
Tue Feb 25 06:12:17 EST 2003

Hi Matthew,

I've seen some "splitting" tools in connection to small web page graphics, but I doubt that they can handle Gb large rasters.

Wrt. ECW, there was a small bug in the ECW support, but it was fixed on Dec. 20 last year. Since then I've been using ECW with great
success.
One caveat is that Mapserver 3.6.x only supports 8 bit color internally (due to GD version 1.x I've been told), so you'll need 3.7
to have the full benefit of any 24 bit ECW or TIFF images.

I've set up two editions of basically the same MAP file showing an ECW mosaic, one using 3.6.3/GIF and another using 3.7/JPEG. The
difference is noteworthy:
3.6.3/GIF: http://gis.hvm.dk/svendborg/sample.php?mapfile=svendborg.map&version=36
3.7/JPEG: http://gis.hvm.dk/svendborg/sample.php?mapfile=svendborg37.map&version=37

ECW is actually a great format for mosaics, the one used above is also about 3.5 Gb. It performs splendidly, until one gets below
scale 1:2000 or so. Then the rendering slows down considerably. So if applicable, you shouldn't need to bother with tiles at all, if
you can convert your GeoTIFF file to ECW instead.

And please do note that ECW is Windows-only.

Best regards/Med venlig hilsen
Lars V. Nielsen
GisPro, Denmark
http://www.gispro.dk/