[Mapserver-users] Compile/library problems

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jan 6 16:49:31 EST 2003

Actually, I have compiled MapServer and all support libraries, including
PHP MapScript in a home account a few times before, so it's possible ot
do it.

As JF pointed, first you have to specify --with-prefix to all the
support libraries that you compile in your home account (GD, Freetype,
GDAL/OGR, PHP, etc.).  Assuming that your home account is
/home/myaccount then I would suggest that you install all support libs
under /home/myaccount/local ... so for all support libraries that you
compile you would configure them using --prefix=/home/myaccount/local
and using 'make install' for each library will install the libs and
header files in the right location in your account.

Then when you configure MapServer, specify the path to each library,
e.g.
 ./configure --with-gd=/home/myaccount/local \
      --with-gdal=/home/myaccount/local/bin/gdal-config  ......

Then compile MapServer normally.

The last issue that was pointed by JF is that by default the system
won't find the libraries in your home directory.  You can first try
using --enable-runpath when you configure MapServer but that may not
work well.  You have a few other options:

- If you manage your own Apache instance then set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in
  your httpd.conf:
     SetEnv  LD_LIBRARY_PATH  /home/myaccount/local/lib

- If your ISP maintains a Apache VirtualHost for your account then the
  above directive can be added by them in the VirtualHost setting

- If none of the above is an option for you then you can create a small
shell script to encapsulate your mapserv CGI:

  ---- mapserv.sh ----
  #! /bin/sh
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/myaccount/local/lib
  /home/myaccount/mapserver/mapserv

And then place that mapserv.sh in your cgi-bin directory.

I hope that helps,

Daniel