[Mapserver-users] Projections

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Jan 14 12:40:38 EST 2003

John -

The PROJECTION object at the top-level in your MAP file describes the desired projection of the output image.  The PROJECTION object inside each LAYER object describes the source projection of the data for that layer.  That's the only way MapServer knows whether the source data needs to be (re)projected when it's added to the output image.

If your data is in geographic coordinates, you need to have a PROJECTION block such as:

 	Projection
		proj=latlong
		ellps=GRS80
	End

(assuming that's the correct ellipsoid) in the LAYER block.  Otherwise MapServer will assume that the input is the same as the output projection and do nothing to project it.

There may also be an image size problem, but let's fix this one first!

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.