[Mapserver-users] RE: mapserver/PostGIS on Macos X

Zak James zak-ms at aiya.dhs.org
Mon Jan 20 14:20:48 EST 2003

I've been able to get php/mapscript running under OS X, even with 4.2.x
PHP versions, by manually editing the php/mapscript makefile. When you
configure mapserver and specify php support, the makefile
(./mapscript/php3/Makefile) is not properly set up.

To use a loadable module under OS X, it needs to be packaged as a
Mach-O  bundle. This differs from other unix systems and the configure
script doesn't know about it. My Makefile includes the following:
CC =     gcc -fPIC
LD =     cc -bundle  -flat_namespace -undefined suppress
CFLAGS = -O2  -Wall -DCOMPILE_DL=1 -DPHP4

and compiles mapscript ok.

A MacOS mailing list is a good idea since most mapserver users are
probably not interested in these details. Count me in. This information
should probably be updated on the wiki page
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MacOS) too.

I think an OS X binary package is needed too, but I'm not sure which of
the many mapserver options it should include.

Zak James