[Mapserver-users] Any intelligent label placer or SVG-output extension plans?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jan 23 20:28:28 EST 2003

Hi Stefan: I'd be very curious in 1. simply because it would have the
most impact since everyone needs label points. And because the current
labeling, while it works pretty well, is decidedly home grown and I'm
interested in seeing great looking maps. To my knowledge there is nobody
else looking at that area other than myself.

However there are folks looking at SVG. It may be better to wait a bit
on that because it would likely be easier to pattern SVG output on the
SWF/PDF code already there. That code isn't mature though so letting
those developers polish that code off first might make sense.

My 2 cents anyway...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Stefan F. Keller" <sfkeller at hsr.ch> 01/23/03 05:59PM >>>
Dear UMN MapServer users

I have some plans for possible students semester work:

1. An point (line/region?) label placement algorithm using more
   'intelligent' algorithms (so called genetic or simulated annealing
alg.)

or

2. An SVG-output generator (using dynamic features) for the
visualization of
sportsmen trails - an application targeted for the world championshsip
of cross
country in Rapperswil, Switzerland (www.olwm2003.ch).

All this should be done of course by extending MapServer
(hard core C coding...).

Since I don't want them to invent the wheel: does anybody have any
hints or
plans about such projects?

Regards
-- Stefan