[Mapserver-users] FAQ Question

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jan 27 16:30:27 EST 2003

Sam Gooding wrote:

> (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/mdp-howto-template.html#d45e407)
>
> The response says that the "epsg" projection definition file file
> must be installed and be in the right location,
> '/usr/local/share/proj/'.  I do not have root access however, and so
> I installed PROJ4 to a directory in my home directory
> (/home/sgoody/install).
>
> What I would like to know is, is there any way for me to fix this
> issue without having my administrator configure and compile mapserv
> for me?

Yes, you can configure PROJ4 using "--prefix=/home/sgoody/install" and
then when you 'make install' to install PROJ4 the epsg file will end up
in /home/sgoody/install/share/epsg.  Then relink your MapServer using
the new PROJ4 library and it should find the epsg and other support
files.

Another option if you don't want to recompile would be to set the
PROJ_LIB environment variable I think... but I'm not sure whether this
environment variable works on Unix.  You may have to do some research to
find out more about this one.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca