[Mapserver-users] FAQ Question

Sam Gooding samgoody at softhome.net
Mon Jan 27 17:29:05 EST 2003

At 4:30 PM -0500 1/27/03, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>Sam Gooding wrote:
>>
>>  (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/mdp-howto-template.html#d45e407)
>>
>>  The response says that the "epsg" projection definition file file
>>  must be installed and be in the right location,
>>  '/usr/local/share/proj/'.  I do not have root access however, and so
>>  I installed PROJ4 to a directory in my home directory
>>  (/home/sgoody/install).
>>
>>  What I would like to know is, is there any way for me to fix this
>>  issue without having my administrator configure and compile mapserv
>>  for me?
>>

>Yes, you can configure PROJ4 using "--prefix=/home/sgoody/install" and
>then when you 'make install' to install PROJ4 the epsg file will end up
>in /home/sgoody/install/share/epsg.  Then relink your MapServer using
>the new PROJ4 library and it should find the epsg and other support
>files.
>
>Another option if you don't want to recompile would be to set the
>PROJ_LIB environment variable I think... but I'm not sure whether this
>environment variable works on Unix.  You may have to do some research to
>find out more about this one.

I recompiled the PROJ4 libraries using the following commands and
received no errors:

./configure --prefix=/home/sgoody/install

make install

Then I proceeded to recompile mapserv using the following commands
and also received no errors:

./configure --with-jpeg --with-gd --with-freetype
--enable-force-freetype1 --with-zlib --with-png --with-tiff
--with-proj=/home/sgoody/install
--with-wmsclient=/home/sgoody/install/bin --enable-runpath

make all

However when I try to use the WMS client I still receive the following error:

msProcessProjection(): no system list, errno:13

Thanks.