[Mapserver-users] MySQL

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Tue Jan 28 09:53:56 EST 2003

IMO MySQL capabilities would be a very welcome addition to MapServer,
but full PostGIS-like functionality would be extremely difficult to
realize. PostGIS depends on advanced native PostgreSQL facilities, like
geometric datatypes and GIST indexing (IMO GIST indexes really make
PostGIS tick). Building all this into MySQL would be a much harder job
than implementing PostGIS in PostgreSQL (and even that wasn't exactly
trivial I believe). There was a posting a few days ago on planned
OpenGIS facilities for MySQL (
http://lists.dmsolutions.ca/pipermail/mapserver-users/2003-January/083044.html

), but this looked very long-term, certainly not for the upcoming 4.1
release.

Yet even a non-GIS connection between MapServer and MySQL would offer
many advantages. Think about JOINS. These are being reintroduced into
3.7, but only for DBF files. If this mechanism could be expanded to
MySQL (or PostgreSQL without PostGIS), a non-GIS enabled database could
be used alongside MapServer, although the maps would have to be regular
GIS files of course. Something like using TABLE and TO in the JOIN
object the same way as CONNECTION and DATA in the LAYER object. This
would make even the current version of MySQL very usable with MapServer.
Not sure how difficult this would be (not for 3.7 I'd imagine), but
certainly something to think of for the longer term.

How about it Steve, Attila?

Jan

PS: For those interested: a PostgreSQL beta for native (non-cygwin)
Windows is available at
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/InstallingOnWindows