[Mapserver-users] MAPFILE -> MAXSCALE metric??

Thorsten Fischer thfischer at mapmedia.de
Fri Jun 13 09:08:26 EDT 2003

> I wonder what are the units defined in the MAPFILE configuration file!
> I'm using the embed scale bar on the map and the units shown in the
> scale picture on the map when a layer should or should not appear
> doesn't match the values on the MAPFILE!!

> UNITS DD
        ^^

> #PROJ (PROJ.4) # <SRID 4326>
> PROJECTION
>     "proj=utm"
>     "zone=29"
>     "ellps=WGS84"
>     "datum=WGS84"
>     "units=m"
            ^^^
>     "no_defs"
> END

You define UNITS as being decimal degrees, but in your PROJECTION block
you define the coordinates to be in a UTM projection which is measured
in meters. You have to decide which one you want. Since you said your
shapefiles are measured in decimal degress, and your Output is the UTM
thing above, you want to use UNITS METERS here.

As soon as you have done that, you need to define UNITS in your SCALEBAR
section to define in what way it will be labeled.

hth,

thorsten