[Mapserver-users] is mapserver a viable solution for this?

niklas wörmann nwoe at privat.utfors.se
Mon Jun 23 18:51:21 EDT 2003

Hi!
I am currently trying to evaluate some different technical solutions,

what i want to accomplish;
create a server based mapping engine that is supposed to serve maps as shockwave flash.
i would then like to be able to keep a "user layer" in flash, with the mapserver generated map as a background.
the only further services that i need is a way to translate screen coordinates (x,y) to latitude and longitude (and back) since depending on the
projection i imagine the calculations needed would be pretty involved.

i am currently using coldfusion for server side scripting
(notice a bias here towards macromedia products ?)
what would be the best way to "integrate" mapserver with coldfusion, straight cgi get calls? any other suggestions?

is it possible to get some kind of transform function between screen coordinates and latlong?
how would i go about setting it up?

it seems i would have to go with the mapserver 4.0 beta to get the swf  part working.
i have been trying for some time to get the demo set up and working on my w2000 machine with IIS, no luck so far.
i´ll be back with more specific questions regarding this when i have them....

tia

niklas woermann
älvsjö, sweden