[Mapserver-users] Re: building Mapserver 3.6.5 on Mac OS X 10.2.5

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Tue May 13 00:19:34 EDT 2003

Hi John,

I just got on and say the exchange of messages... seems like you got
the advice for "sudo gcc_select 2"

What puzzled me was this from an earlier message...

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, John Oram <mapserver at o...> wrote:
..
> This may or may not be related to another question I have -- I saw a
> reference to shapelib-1.2.10 -- I downloaded it and have it in my
> /usr/local/src.  I didn't see any mention of it in any of the install
> instructions I've seen (for any OS) and wasn't able to tell if this was
> bonus material or required to import shapefiles.  Could this be causing
> the shp2img error I'm seeing?
..

what exactly do you mean by "import shapefiles"? Mapserver works with
shapefiles without requiring GDAL to do so. You don't need to tackle
GDAL for this.

I was looking at my own config... at one point I did successfully
(with Frank Warmerdam's help) compile GDAL, but in its current
incarnation, Mapserver on my iBook is GDAL-less. I can happily read,
and even create and write shapefiles.

Might I suggest you build a straightforward Mapserver (I've got mine
running with Perl and PHP, although I use the former for most part).
Once you've got it built and running successfully, then you can
experiment with adding more libraries successively... just make sure
you retain a copy of your successful build script.

Puneet.