[Mapserver-users] Scale calculation

Valerio Noti noti at ciaoweb.it
Thu Nov 27 05:19:13 EST 2003

Hi all,
I'm trying to display a numeric map scale in my PHP_Mapscript application.
I'm a little confused about image resolution.
I red about 72 dpi resolution of mapserver images. So I used this value to
calculate the scale. In an old thread someone wrote:

"72 dpi is actually a very poor choice these days - most users are looking
at higher resolution screens, and if you're printing from a Web browser then
your browser is going to use its OWN value for screen resolution when it
generates the output image for printing (usually around 96 dpi, but it
varies from one browser to another)".

Do the browser modify output resolution on the screen? if so, does it affect
both screen and print resolution?
Furthermore, if I open in a graphic software a map image saved in tmp
directory, I can see that resolution is 200 dpi.

Thanks in advance

Valerio Noti
noti at ciaoweb.it