[Mapserver-users] WMS requests.

Bob Basques bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Apr 5 15:41:06 EDT 2004

All,

While puttering with WMS functionality and MapServer.

I got a valid getCapabilities request to work ok, the XML stream comes
back out real nicely, but when I try to run a GetMap request, I get a
LAYER error back to the effect of :

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no" ?>
    <!DOCTYPE ServiceExceptionReport SYSTEM
    "http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/WMS_exception_1_1_1.dtd">
    <ServiceExceptionReport version="1.1.0">
    <ServiceException code="LayerNotDefined">
    msWMSLoadGetMapParams(): WMS server error. Invalid layer(s) given in
    the LAYERS parameter.
    </ServiceException>
    </ServiceExceptionReport>

I think it has to do with how I have my LAYERs defined.  Would a DEFAULT
setting on all layers mess up the WMS output for example?  See my
Mapfile below,  I have different sets of resolutiuon for each zoom
range, shouldn't just the topmost be used for a default Map Generation
(if I read the WMS how-to correctly) require only the top level Zoom
values, regardless of whether the other LAYERS are set to Default.  I
don't have any overlap (I don't think) in the LAYER definitions.

The Images output in non-WMS just fine BTW.

Thanks for any insight here.

bobb

#
# Start of map file
#
MAP
  NAME HORIZONS
  STATUS ON
  SIZE 600 600
  EXTENT 540000 135000 600000 175000
  UNITS FEET
  SHAPEPATH "./data"
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

  IMAGETYPE JPEG

  WEB
    METADATA
      WMS_TITLE          "WMS City of Saint Paul, Public Works Server"
      WMS_ONLINERESOURCE
"http://dragonslayer.ci.stpaul.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=../html/raster/horizons_wms.map&amp;"
      WMS_SRS            "EPSG:32615"
    END
    ##PROJECTION
      ##"init=epsg:32615"
    ##END
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "L5"
    METADATA
      WMS_TITLE "HORIZONS L5"
      WMS_GROUP_TITLE "AERIAL"
    END
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TILEINDEX "RAST_RAM_PW_AER_SUR_2003_04_L5"
    TILEITEM "Location"
    TYPE RASTER
    GROUP "AERIAL"
    MINSCALE 16001
    MAXSCALE 32000
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "L4"
    METADATA
      WMS_TITLE "HORIZONS L4"
      WMS_GROUP_TITLE "AERIAL"
    END
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TILEINDEX "RAST_RAM_PW_AER_SUR_2003_04_L4"
    TILEITEM "Location"
    TYPE RASTER
    GROUP "AERIAL"
    MINSCALE 8001
    MAXSCALE 16000
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "L3"
    METADATA
      WMS_TITLE "HORIZONS L3"
      WMS_GROUP_TITLE "AERIAL"
    END
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TILEINDEX "RAST_RAM_PW_AER_SUR_2003_04_L3"
    TILEITEM "Location"
    TYPE RASTER
    GROUP "AERIAL"
    MINSCALE 4001
    MAXSCALE 8000
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "L2"
    METADATA
      WMS_TITLE "HORIZONS L2"
      WMS_GROUP_TITLE "AERIAL"
    END
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TILEINDEX "RAST_RAM_PW_AER_SUR_2003_04_L2"
    TILEITEM "Location"
    TYPE RASTER
    GROUP "AERIAL"
    MINSCALE 2001
    MAXSCALE 4000
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "L1"
    METADATA
      WMS_TITLE "HORIZONS L1"
      WMS_GROUP_TITLE "AERIAL"
    END
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TILEINDEX "RAST_RAM_PW_AER_SUR_2003_04_L1"
    TILEITEM "Location"
    TYPE RASTER
    GROUP "AERIAL"
    MINSCALE 1001
    MAXSCALE 2000
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "L0"
    METADATA
      WMS_TITLE "HORIZONS L0"
      WMS_GROUP_TITLE "AERIAL"
    END
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TILEINDEX "RAST_RAM_PW_AER_SUR_2003_04_L0"
    TILEITEM "Location"
    TYPE RASTER
    GROUP "AERIAL"
    MINSCALE 501