[Mapserver-users] Working with tile indexes (gdaltindex)

Balkanu GIS gis at balkanu.com.au
Tue Apr 6 22:11:34 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Setup: MapLab 2.1rc3, ms4w, mapserver 4.0 precompiled binary for Windows,
Win2000, SP4.

I have a number of 13MB TIFF images covering a large area of Australia. At
the moment they are all defined as separate layers in the map file. I would
like to have them all referenced in a tile index. I have downloaded
gdaltidex and used it to create a SHP file containing refernces to the
raster files, however I have not been able to successfully display it.

The relevant portion of my mapfile is below. Can anyone suggest what I
should do to enable the tile display? Do I need a separate class item for
each member of the index?

  LAYER
    NAME "Tiled 250k Topographic"
    GROUP "Raster"
    STATUS ON
    DATA "../../../Documents and Settings/All Users/Data/Tables
(MI)/Rasters/Topo_250k/topo250"
    TYPE RASTER
    TILEITEM "location"
    UNITS METERS