[Mapserver-users] Architecture Question - Mapserver and Databases

Ben Gervais bgervais at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Apr 7 22:22:57 EDT 2004

I'm designing a system to use with map server, which will go live later
this year, or early next year. (so I've got a bit of time)

I'm new to mapserver, but I have read alot of the archives, so I do know
some of these questions have been done to death, but please bear with me,
I'll try to be as articulate as possible.  Our database backend will be an
open source db.

1. postgreSQL / PostGIS versus MySQL:  I realize that MySQL support is
immature right now.  Look into your crystal ball a few months, and do a
comparison of both, what are the relative merits and disadvantage of each
system.  What will be my restrictions as far as end-user features
depending on the database I choose?

2. I notice that Attila's additions to mapserver allow some present MySQL
compatibility (the wiki page says it doesn't matter what version of MySQL
I use.)  Will mapserver make use the OpenGIS types in MySQL 4.1 in the
future?  does the work that has been done already in mapserver render the
4.1 additions moot?

3. What 'killer' features do these GIS data types enable anyways, obvious
to me are things like detecting intersections, but what else?

forgive my ignorance, and thanks for any light you can shed on this for
me.

Cheers,
-ben