[Mapserver-users] mapserv cgi and raster layers

Andrew selkiesdad at twcny.rr.com
Fri Apr 16 07:49:24 EDT 2004

I have compiled the mapserv cgi and all the required libraries and
associated utilities from source on an ix86 Linux slackware (kernel
2.4.20)  box. I have tried both the  mapserver 4.0 and 4.02 source files
with gdal 1.2, gd 2.0.22, freetype 2.1.7  and proj 4.4.7. I had no
problems with the compiles ( except for the --with-ogr option for
mapserv 4.0 which  required manual fixes to the Makefile paths for ogr
includes and libs). I have used the tutorial.zip file downloaded from
the mapserver documentation links online, fixed the mixed windows/unix
paths and locations, and eliminated the instances of '\r\n' with '\n' in
all text files, including tiff world files and the html template files.
 I have  recompiled repeatedly using various combinations of the
--with-odbc and --with-ogr options for gdal and mapserve. I have a
serious and inexplicable problem with the display of raster layers. They
don't.

Any map file references to tiff files that are actually in the location
listed causes a cgi abort with a "premature end of script headers" upon
mapping them as backgrounds. Neither version of mapserver sources will
permit the use of the DEBUG option in ANY location in the map file
without aborting with an appropriate message. The mapserv cgi fails in
the wms  connect to the landsat data source and aborts, even with status
set to off, if I include it as a layer. When I test the URL for the
landsat map from lynx I get an XML file with a  missing bbox argument
error. The url being used for this connection is identical to that found
in the online tutorial viewable map file. The online tutorial works
perfectly.

All other utilities, binaries, cgi capabilities, etc tested work exactly
as documented.

Any thoughts?