[Mapserver-users] scripting languages

Eduardo Patto Kanegae eduardo at consultoria.eti.br
Fri Apr 16 08:00:10 EDT 2004

MapServer is not a full featured GIS and it's not your purpose. Its main
goals is to provide a powerfull set of resources to develop spatially
enabled internet applications.
It can operated using the CGI mode, which is basically set with a
MapFile(configuration file for the mapserver application) and Template
files - these ones define the interface of users, layout, etc...
Or you can use MapScript mode. MapScript provides for some languages as
Perl, PHP, Java, Python, Ruby, the API functions which is contained in
MapServer. So, you'll be able to build a more complex and flexible
system if you use MapScript with some language.

There's some functions of spatial analisys in MapScript set, but you can
also combine MapScript with another toolset or library. eg.: if you need
functions for computing path alternatives you could a library/class to
do that, and use MapScript to show results.

best.

Eduardo Patto Kanegae
http://www.consultoria.eti.br

## Projeto MapServer Brasil - http://mapserver.cttmar.univali.br ##