[Mapserver-users] Mapserver permissions?

Mark Balman Mark.Balman at birdlife.org
Tue Apr 20 09:13:01 EDT 2004

------_=_NextPart_001_01C426D9.355A1BE3

Hi List

Having got a demo working nicely on Mandrake 9.2, Apache 2, PHP 4.3.4,
Mapserver 4.01, I am trying to get this uploaded onto a host. Could
someone help explain the file permissions as I am getting nowhere fast!

What does the mapserv executable have to be? I have this running as 777
on my local development machine in /var/www/cgi-bin and it works fine.
Does mapserver have to be world writable? If I change these on my local
machine then I get file not found message or a dialog box asking to
download..?

What does the /tmp directory have to be? I also have this as 777.. Also
works fine

So I am a bit stumped, I do understand that there are several security
issues to note..

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, I have read and scanned the
mailing lists all to no avail!

Many thanks

Mark

------_=_NextPart_001_01C426D9.355A1BE3

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.5.6944.0">
<TITLE>Mapserver permissions?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hi List</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Having got a demo working nicely on =
Mandrake 9.2, Apache 2, PHP 4.3.4, Mapserver 4.01, I am trying to get =
this uploaded onto a host. Could someone help explain the file =
permissions as I am getting nowhere fast!</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">What does the mapserv executable have =
to be? I have this running as 777 on my local development machine in =
/var/www/cgi-bin and it works fine. Does mapserver have to be world =
writable? If I change these on my local machine then I get file not =
found message or a dialog box asking to download..?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">What does the /tmp directory have to =
be? I also have this as 777.. Also works fine</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">So I am a bit stumped, I do understand =
that there are several security issues to note..</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Any help would be gratefully =
appreciated, I have read and scanned the mailing lists all to no =
avail!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Many thanks</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Mark</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C426D9.355A1BE3--