Problems with Tiff images

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Wed Aug 18 10:03:33 EDT 2004

Nico -

Are you using TILEINDEX files for your raster images, and are all the
paths to the raster images IDENTICAL on the new machine?

Are your raster images TIFF files?  If so, you're not using GDAL at all,
since both systems are configured with INPUT=TIFF, using the "native"
TIFF support rather than GDAL.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 978 251-4242   Fax: +1 978 251-1396

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Nico Alberti
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 6:48 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Problems with Tiff images

Hi everybody. I am trying to port my litlle MapScript application to a
more powerful computer but In the latter I came across a strange
problem.

I have no problem displaying vector layers and data, but when I try to
add a raster layer, all I get is a blank image. The same happens if I
try to use tools like Maplab Unfortunately I am not a Mapserver expert,
and I don't know if, where and how I can find more detailed information
for trying to address this issue. Because this problem arises only with
raster (tiff) images, I guess the Gdal package is to blame, but I have
no clue how to deal with it.

The old server (they are both running Mandrake Linux 10.0) runs:

MapServer version 4.2.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT INPUT=TIFF
INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
and it was built against stock Mandrake libraries, gdal-1.1.9,
php-4.3.6, and proj-4.4.7

The new one, instead has:
MapServer version 4.2.2 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=OGR
INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE and it was built against stock Mandrake
libraries, gdal-1.2.1, php-4.3.8, and PROJ.4-4.4.1-1.i586.rpm .

I guess I could replicate the old configuration, but:
- I would like to run the latest software and mostly
- I would like to know what is wrong with it :-)

Every advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

--
Ciao
Nico