PHP and MapScript setup issues on Win and IIS

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at MAUNSELL.COM
Thu Aug 19 20:57:31 EDT 2004

Jacob,

I do have a hint; please be aware that on windows XP, your IIS will not accept more than 10 users at a time. That is a limitation of windows which was done on purpose, except for the 'server' versions. We ran into this problem within one day of us putting our site into production (luckily our network administrator was not as ignorant as us, and he had a gut feeling that might be why a lot of users ran into random problems when it was busy). We converted to Apache. From a security point of view, this may not be a bad idea anyway. Our logs indicate that our server is often under heavy attack from people trying to get in, and since IIS has more vulnerabilities than Apache does, I'm glad we're not running that.

regards,

Jacob

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Blankenship [mailto:jhblankenship at yahoo.com]
Sent: 20 August 2004 08:47
To: Jacob Delfos
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] PHP and MapScript setup issues on Win and IIS

Jacob, Your suggestions are much appreciated.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get php 5.0 and
MapServer 4.2.2 to work together, so I opted to use
php 4.3.8 instead (per an earlier suggestion), and
this is working. Having ruled up permissions as the
problem I've removed limited them on my extensions
directory to admin and the user running IIS. If you
have any other thoughts (links, hints, etc)that you
would like to pass on to a newbie I will further in
your debt.

Thank you,
Jacob

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo