Mapserver Testimony

Swaminathan, Gayathri gayathri at OU.EDU
Wed Aug 25 11:50:50 EDT 2004

Hi all:

Thought should share another testimony of mapserver, my director at GIS(Mary) shared with me. Oklahoma has come a long ways of hosting its GIS applications and needless to say,

It would not have been possible without the mighty support/knowledge/sharing of Mapserver community

Kudos!!! To all the Mapserver/ supporting libraries developers and users!

Gayathri

-----Original Message-----
From: Learon Dalby [mailto:Learon.Dalby at arkansas.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 8:52 AM
To: Banken, Mary K.
Cc: Richie Pierce
Subject: Proposal sent to MAGIC List

Mary,

I just wanted to let you know I visited with Ray regarding bullet number one.

1.      Web Feature Service

Implement a vendor independent Web Feature Service (WFS) for vector downloading using OGC standards and specifications.  Programming skills would be required.  This proposal should be open to all MAGIC member states, but make a concerted effort to include Oklahoma as they use the Minnesota Map Service.  USGS would participate with grant funds if possible.

I believe a more appropriate way to state this would have been to say "Make sure we (everyone else) can be included with Oklahoma as they do not use ESRI."

OGC 'compliant' is an interesting term, if not misnomer. In my opinion MN Map Server is more 'compliant' than most of the other WMS on the market. Unfortunately the norm is to confuse ESRI compliant with OGC compliant which are obviously two different animals.

I do not believe programming skills would be required.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you and your technical staff should be proud of your state clearinghouse. It is innovative and light years ahead of most of us.

Learon Dalby