JPEG 2000 format instead of TIFF for a RASTER layer

Brant Anderson brant at MUDLABS.COM
Thu Aug 26 01:20:33 EDT 2004

I am trying to tile ortho photos using the JPEG 2000 (jp2) format. I
have created a working tif version.

I converted the TIF images to JP2 files using jasper. Then I updated the
PATH attribute of the shapefile to reflect the new file extension. This,
however, created unexpected results. I am getting an Internal Server Error.

Here is my MapServer output: (mapserv -v)
MapServer version 4.2.2 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF
SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=OGR *INPUT=GDAL* INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Here is my gdal-config output: (gdal-config --formats)
gxf gtiff hfa aigrid aaigrid ceos ceos2 iso8211 xpm sdts raw dted mem
jdem envisat elas fit vrt usgsdem l1b nitf bmp pcidsk bsb *jpeg2000* gif
jpeg png grass

Does anybody know if it is possible to use JPEG 2000 instead of TIFF for
this?

I would like to use this format if possible, as the file sizes are 2-3x
smaller than with the .tif, and the quality differences are unnoticeable.

Any help/suggestions welcome.

Thank you,

Brant Anderson