compiling on win32 -- libmap32.dll

Ted Quinby quinby at EARTHIT.COM
Thu Aug 26 12:38:11 EDT 2004

After much work, I finally got mapserver to compile on windows 2000.  It's
still a struggle but an easier struggle given the nmake.opt file and the
numerous postings on this list.  Thanks.

After compiling, I noticed that the executables were significantly smaller
in size than the pre-compiled windows binary distributions.  It appears
that I had DLLBUILD=1 uncommented which forced dynamic linking to a
libmap.dll.

I commented this out and built again.  The binaries were much larger
(mapserv.exe was 2.7 MB instead of 300 KB) but libmap.dll is still being
created.  Should this be expected?  Are some libraries still being
dynamically linked to the libmap.dll?  I suppose something is going on b/c
although mapserver compiles, when I replace the pre-compiled windows
binaries from the mapserver site with my binaries, my mapserver instance
breaks.  Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the precompiled windows binary
distributions do not include the libmap.dll?

My version is as follows:

MapServer version 4.2.2 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=PDF SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL
INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Thanks in advance for your help

Ted