[Mapserver-users] Changing inline features with CGI parameters

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Mon Feb 2 08:57:44 EST 2004

Hi Steve and list,

I'm trying to use a feature object for error messages. My mapfile looks
like this:

map

layer
   ..
end

layer
   ..
end

layer
   transform false
   feature
     text "No data for this map
     points 10 10 end
   end
   class
      color  255 0 0
    end
end

Layers ar selected with expressions from the URL, and if no data are
found, every layer but the last is turned off and the error message is
displayed. Works fine. However, I want to be able to change the
feature's text and position from the URL. The CGI Reference shows how to
do this by creating a new feature from the URL:

...&map_webuser_feature=new&map_webuser_feature_points=12345.6789+12345.6789&map_webuser_feature_text=My+House!&..

This only works when *no* feature is defined in the MapFile, else
nothing is shown. When omitting "feature=new" MapServer segfaults.

AFAICS existing features are not accessible from the URL. Is this by
design, or can something be done about it? I am thinking of an
application with lots of default error messages that can be toggled on
and off individually in different positions. It would be easier to do
this with predefined (and named) feature objects. I can live with the
present situation though.

Jan