[Mapserver-users] Mapserver hardware recomendations.

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at aero-graphics.com
Wed Feb 4 11:33:02 EST 2004

We are planning to put a mapserver together for both external and internal use.
The data will primarily be composed of rasters. Most of these rasters will more
than likely be 24bit TIFF and JPEG. The raster data alone I think will start at
around 400Gigabytes and could quite possibly grow. Vector data could potentially
become substantial much later on but for the next couple years I do not see it
growing beyond 50-100MB.

Im hoping to increase the speed of the setup through the usual means such as
min/max scale displays, tiled imagery, reduced colors(if possible),
pyramids/rrds and of course trying to optimize the core imagery resolution for
the application.

I dont expect the traffic on this site to be too combersome. Perhaps no more
than a few hundred hits a day at most and probably no more than ten connections
at a time.

I was thinking 1GB of ram, P4 2.8-3.0 or athlon-64, ata-100 main drives (one for
OS and software other for swap etc) with the data sitting on a ata raid5 that
interfaces to the machine via at least a SCSI U160 interface or perhaps firewire.

I will probably put 3 main drives in it. 2 will be the OS/software and mirrored.
3 will be swap.

All of this I plan to be running under either Redhat 9.0 or Fedora.

Any recommendations on anything with regard to such a setup?

Thanks, Jason.