[Mapserver-users] Mapserver hardware recomendations.

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Feb 4 12:49:32 EST 2004

Jason -

If you're concerned about performance, the first thing I'd do is lose
the JPEGs, and convert them all to TIFF images.  Otherwise the rest of
the things you've identified for managing your data are good ideas - do
as much as you possibly can to optimize the data layout and usage before
you begin to think about hardware.

Your hardware setup generally looks reasonable.  At TopoZone we serve
about 20 terabytes of imagery and vector data using a similar sort of
platform at much higher traffic rates (but no, it doesn't all fit on one
box <g>).  You would probably benefit, however, from more RAM, depending
on your usage model.  Having more RAM available for working set AND some
left over for disk cache will be helpful unless virtually all your hits
are "random" and not geographically related to one another.

If you will be frequently updating your data set, please remember that
in my experience most ATA RAID controllers see their performance go out
the window when asked to support simultaneous writes and reads.  Don't
try to do much active updating while your server's busy trying to serve
maps.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker