[Mapserver-users] wms and projections

Amit S BEHERE abehere at cs.ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 6 17:15:49 EST 2004

Hi,

I tried playing with the minscale parameter but didnt reach anywhere I
tried all options from 1 to 1000000 in jumps of 2 (exp) n. I still have
the following questions regarding mapserver. I would be grateful if some
one could answer them for me or point to some documentation/faq where I
can find some useful hints

1. What does min scale map scale have anything to do with the image I see
on the map. Shouldn't the extent and the size of the image be enough to
draw the image on the browser.

2. After playing around with minscale (why do I have to play around with
minscale?) I managed to see my tree layer on the browser. However no
matter what extent I give, I still see the whole layer of tree. Should it
not be constrained by what extent I give it.

3. Why do I see the image with a regular request and not with a OGIS WMS
GetMap request.

4. So basically I want to know how EXTENT, MINSCALE, SIZE, UNITS etc are
related, if so how and why?

Sorry for reasking some portion of the questions on the forum but I would
like to know the concept behind whats happening rather than getting just a
fix.

-Amit

Amit Behere.
UCSD.
"Technology doesn't make your life more difficult or easy, it just changes
the rules"......Vishwanathan Anand