[Mapserver-users] Relative paths in Mapserver setup ?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Feb 6 14:50:39 EST 2004

Lars V. Nielsen wrote:

> Or are relative paths, as one would expect, always considered relative
> to the file in which the relative path is given ??
>
> These files are of relevance to me :
> - PHP script that loads the MAP file
> - MAP files
> - symbols definition files
> - font lookup files (fontset)

The general rule is that relative paths are almost always relative to
the file in which they are located.  A few exceptions I can think of are:

- DATA paths inside a layer are relative to the SHAPEPATH, and if no
SHAPEPATH is present then they are relative to the mapfile location
- relative paths inside a tileindex file are relative to the SHAPEPATH
and *not* to the location of the tileindex
- there seem to be some cases where font paths inside a fontset need to
be absolute (but in general relative font paths should work)

HTH

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca