[Mapserver-users] Mapserver Technical Specs

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Feb 13 08:37:19 EST 2004

Martin -

Are these concerns relative to deciding whether to install MapServer or
a different mapping package, or whether to permit MapServer at all?

Those are pretty broad concepts - if they can establish guidelines, it
would be easy to determine whether or not you can meet those guidelines,
especially compared to the rest of the College's site.  For example, if
they're worried about bandwidth usage, why does the "Web and Information
Services" page at http://www.macalester.edu/web/ contain a section of
suggestions on "Building Traffic" ;-)

MapServer is a CGI program whose binary, depending on configuration,
takes one or two megabytes of disk space.  It is no more or less secure
than any other CGI program, and its security needs for access to data
files are about the same as any other CGI program that reads data files.
In some configurations it requires a temporary Web-accessible directory
with write access, but depending on your usage even that's not required.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com