[Mapserver-users] WMS Client Problem

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Feb 18 23:31:12 EST 2004

Ed McNierney wrote:

> I am just about to look into some WMS access control issues and I was
> planning to try the http://user:password@host.domain.com/... route.  My
> concern, however, is that the online resource URI has to be described in
> the MAP file as well, which would mean that each user would need to have
> a unique MAP file with their own username and password embedded in it.
> Does this make sense to you?  Am I confused?

I see what you mean, I think there are (at least) two possible
situations for authentication:

1- The case where MapServer always uses the same user/password to
connect to the server.  In this case it is enough to store the
user/password in the mapfile I think.

2- The case where you want to cascade credentials coming from the
client, which is what you're talking about here.

I think #1 and #2 can and should be handled separately.  #1 is quite
straightforward and should be easy to implement, but #2 would definitely
need more thinking and more work.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca