[Mapserver-users] simple mapserver configuration

Eric Sokolowsky eric.sokolowsky at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 21 16:50:20 EST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Norman Vine wrote:

> Pericles Nacionales writes:
> >
> > By the way, does your app generate a
> > map with a standard MapServer CGI url, ie:
> > http://svsdev.gsfc.nasa.gov/esok/cgi-bin/map?map=/path/to/your/mapfile.map&layer=EARTH_PNG&mode=map
>
> AhAh  I think this is it !
>
> Eric try
>
>  "wms_onlineresource" "http://svsdev.gsfc.nasa.gov/esok/cgi-bin/map?"
>
> assuming your mapfile is "mywms.map" and is in the cgi-bin directory try
>
> "wms_onlineresource" "http://svsdev.gsfc.nasa.gov/esok/cgi-bin/map?map=mywms.map"
>
> your mapfile can be anywhere you just need the path as Pericles says

Yes, I am sure that I was getting the right map file, because a
getcapabilities request was returning an xml document with all of the
right layers.  I didn't mention it in the original email (I should have
though) but my "map" is a wrapper around mapserv (so I don't need to
specify a map file in the URL):

  #!/bin/sh
  # Wrapper for mapserv binary.

  export ROOT=/home/esok
  export MS_MAPFILE=${ROOT}/mapserver/etc/wms.map
  ${ROOT}/public_html/cgi-bin/mapserv $*

I really do appreciate your suggestions.  Do you have any more?

--
    ____   __     Eric Sokolowsky    (GST)  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
   / __/__/_/__  Visualization Programmer    Scientific Visualization Studio