[Mapserver-users] GDAL, TIFF, JPEG Question

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Jan 22 16:31:35 EST 2004

The chief problem is user confusion; there are many options and it can
be easy for the user to not understand what driver is reading the data.
It is certainly possible to build GDAL *without* support for TIFF and
JPEG images, so the report "INPUT=TIFF, INPUT=JPEG, INPUT=GDAL" doesn't
necessarily mean redundant drivers - but it probably does <g>!

I believe there have been discussions about removing the "native" TIFF
support (at least) in favor of GDAL, since there is little advantage to
it and there are many new "TIFF" options that are really new features
only supported by GDAL.

MapServer doesn't get "confused" - the user does <g>.  But that's
something we should strive to avoid.

	- Ed (very minor MapServer attendant deity)

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com