[Mapserver-users] GDAL, TIFF, JPEG Question

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Thu Jan 22 18:23:15 EST 2004

Thanks, Ed!

I guess I could be clearer but that's exactly why I brought this up.
The many and sometimes redundant options in MapServer do get people
confused.  I don't know how many users configure GDAL without TIFF and
JPEG support--I would guess that most people leave them in.

-Perry N.

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 15:31, Ed McNierney wrote:
> The chief problem is user confusion; there are many options and it can
> be easy for the user to not understand what driver is reading the data.
> It is certainly possible to build GDAL *without* support for TIFF and
> JPEG images, so the report "INPUT=TIFF, INPUT=JPEG, INPUT=GDAL" doesn't
> necessarily mean redundant drivers - but it probably does <g>!
>
> I believe there have been discussions about removing the "native" TIFF
> support (at least) in favor of GDAL, since there is little advantage to
> it and there are many new "TIFF" options that are really new features
> only supported by GDAL.
>
> MapServer doesn't get "confused" - the user does <g>.  But that's
> something we should strive to avoid.
>
> 	- Ed (very minor MapServer attendant deity)
>
> Ed McNierney
> President and Chief Mapmaker
> TopoZone.com

Pericles S. Nacionales <nacional at cbs.umn.edu>