[Mapserver-users] WMS server image black padding and aspect ratio

Eric Sokolowsky eric.sokolowsky at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 23 11:41:33 EST 2004

I am running mapserver 4.0.1 but this aspect also appears with the
version in CVS.  I am using mapserver as a WMS server on a Red Hat Linux 9
system.  When I request an image that is not the same aspect ratio as
the original image on the server, it seems that the image I get is
not stretched so that it fills the entire frame.  The aspect ratio of the
original source is maintained and black bars either appear above and below
or else on both sides, similar to the effect of watching widescreen movies
on a regular TV.  Is this the intended behavior, and if so, is there a way
to turn it off?

mapserv -v yields:

MapServer version 4.0.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

My version from CVS yields (I have used the same settings to compile it as
above):

MapServer version 4.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

--
    ____   __     Eric Sokolowsky    (GST)  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
   / __/__/_/__  Visualization Programmer    Scientific Visualization Studio